For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, a flat lay is a photo that many fashion bloggers and influencers create to display a wide range of objects, clothing, etc. on a flat surface, taken from a bird’s eye view. The background is typically plain while the objects are the focal points that stand out in the photo.
So with that being said, please enjoy some of my tips and tricks to getting the perfect flat lay:
- Have a solid or semi-textured background, preferably black or white.
- Have somewhat of a theme, be it technology, beauty products, baking, food, clothing, etc. But also, don’t be afraid to showcase your current favourite items. For example, July Favourites may include a face wash, your favourite pair of shorts, bathing suit top, a pair of sunnies and your current favourite phone case.
- Play around with strategically placing your objects, but also have a KEY piece that is going to be the focal point. Additional objects placed around the main piece should complement it.
- Lighting is SOOO Important! I usually take my photos in the day near a large window for natural lighting.
- Use a decent camera, be it an iPhone, Canon, Nikon, etc.
- Snap, Edit & Post!
I love hearing from you, so let me know if these tips are helpful! And please do share your flat lay tips with me as well!